Thursday, July 23, 2009

Packers, Forklifts and Saying Goodbye

The packers swarmed like locusts on our house last week! They came, they saw and they conquered ... our house is empty save the embassy issued furniture and our suitcases. My children watched with fascination this morning as a forklift moved our containers into the waiting trucks. (They came at 5:30AM as trucks aren't allowed inside the ring road after a certain hour.) Our computer, however, was also packed up (someone get these people a laptop!) so I write you from the Embassy CLO office.

I'm not quite ready to end this blog! I didn't finish. I have more pictures! So, what to do?

When we unpack the computer I'll give myself a few weeks to "finish" and then say Namaste to "Trailing Spouse in Kathmandu". Did you know there are all kinds of services that will print your blog into a book? While the initial aim of this blog was to answer the many questions we were asked about life here with a family and give our own friends and family a way to stay connected, it definitely morphed into a creative outlet for me which I have needed and appreciated. I'd love to get it printed through one of these services and keep copies for the children to remember this chapter of their lives.

I can't write any final reflections from where I sit. CNN is on in the background and there is that low level hum of office noises that keep me from concentrating. (I really did work in an office at one point in my life - how did I do this?).

We still have shy of one week left to enjoy the 'Du and say our goodbyes unemcumbered by our own belongings. We all go on a "stuff" diet when we get back to the States.

Namaste ....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh i am so sorry to see you go..

do leave a link for me if you start a new blog..

Heidi said...

Yes, waiting for your new blogging adventure to begin...

Elizabeth Foss said...

Laurel,
I'm waiting with bated breath to hear that you're here. Do call. I'm going to be hanging out in McLean a whole lot next week. If you've arrived, I'd love to meet you in a park somewhere.

Geoatcs said...

yeah start another new blog about life settling back in the States