Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Maha Shiva Ratri - The Kids

I have been a lazy blogger of late but I promise to catch up.

Last week was Shiva Ratri. While most people associate this holiday with the ganja smoking Sadhus at Pashupati (yes ... I will post those soon!), it is also a holiday for the kids here in Kathmandu and they make the most of it.

Gangs of kids line the side streets to put up their rope road blocks and demand rupees from the captive passers by. They will use the day's take to buy sweets at the end of the day. It is all kind of cute but you can tell the motorists get annoyed by the end of day and practically gun the poor things down.

I took these right outside our gate. I brought out some lollipops for the kids and they hammed it up a bit.


Sort of like a snow day!


Waiting for their next victims.



Caught. Pay up big guy!



OK, we'll break for a minute to pose for you but we are keepin' our eyes on the prize down the road Madam!

I took a bunch of shots of this little guy.
I'll post the Pashupati Sadhus soon. Namaste!

3 comments:

Richard Lawry said...

Great photos. I love to see the kids having a good time.

An Arkies Musings

Crystal said...

I love your photos, so full of life and color. The kids are so cute!!

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

Great shots! I can't decide if I think it's cute or awful to be roped in by panhandling children. I guess it's like going trick-or-treating, only it's EVERY DAY!

Thanks for visiting my site last week when my blog was featured on SITS! (I'm still catching up with everyone - whew!)