Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Expat Election Day

About a month ago, we voted by absentee ballot. But election day is election day so here we are.

While you voted, we slept. We woke up, turned on CNN ... no real news yet, the polls were still closing.

Later in the morning I took Baboo over to "Phora Durbar" (the American Club) where an election event for all Americans was being held. It was not the usual cast of characters which made it interesting. People ate breakfast, watched the returns (Swift played on the playground creating little donkeys and elephants in the sandbox. Kidding.) and chit chatted. Mixed in with the regulars, there were a lot of tourists - young and old- whom, for whatever reason are in KTM during this election and hopefully got a little dose of home during this important day.

The crowd cheered and clapped and cried. I teared up too. Living out of my country, however interesting, makes me appreciate home all the more. In spite of our many shortcomings, the US is still the land of idealism and opportunity. Both are in short supply here.

So indeed President-Elect Obama, God Bless America!

8 comments:

Connie said...

So glad you were able to watch the results with us here in the states. I teared up as well - such a wonder day indeed!

Ellen said...

New to commenting here...I teared up too. It was quite a night.

LINDSAY said...

As a fellow "trailing spouse" (though I tend to prefer being called an "EFM" - ah! so many demeaning phrases to choose from), I can relate to feeling homesick right now! By the way, I love your blog - your writing is fantastic and your content is fascinating!

Blicky Kitty said...

What a cool blog you have. I came to visit because I commented beneath yours and my name is Laurel too. :)

Meaghan said...

Stopping by to say hi. I always love your blog its like taking a little vacation :)

Queenie Jeannie said...

Agreed! God bless America!!!

Come on over to my blog!!!

A Bella good morning video and a GOOD MORNING GIVEAWAY!!!!!

=)

Cristin said...

Warm fuzzies to you!! Yay Obama!!

Rhea said...

I've always felt the most patriotic when I'm out of the country.